ABOUT THE ROLE
As the High School Counsellor you will have the opportunity to craft a vision and strategy for counselling and offer it as a service to the growing school network.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Model, live and lead the the Nova Culture
- Collaboratively develop a Comprehensive School Counseling Policy with the Principal
- Deliver a Comprehensive School Counselling Program
- Develop and maintain a written plan for effective delivery of the school counseling program based on best practice approaches and in line with the school’s ethos.
- Communicate the goals of the comprehensive school counseling policy to education stakeholders (i.e., administrators, teachers, pupils, parents, and community/business leaders).
- Maintain current and appropriate resources for education stakeholders.
- Provide direct services through the Guidance Curriculum, Individual Student Planning and Preventive and Responsive Services, and most remaining time in program management, system support, and accountability
- Use data to develop comprehensive programs that meet student needs.
- Provide leadership and collaborate with other educators in the school-wide integration of best practice in counselling.
- Implement appropriate and prevention-oriented group activities to meet student needs and school goals.
- Plug-into the life skills programme as guided by the office of the Director of Academics and/ or the Principal to support with execution
- Assist all pupils, individually or in groups, with developing academic, career and personal/social skills, goals, and plans.
- Make use of data to devise interventions, in consultation with the Principal.
- Provide individual and group counseling to pupils with identified concerns and needs.
- Implement an effective referral and follow-up process as needed.
- Accurately and appropriately use assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling services. Consult the Principal if there is the need to invite an external service provider for the whole school, or for pupils, or for members of staff.
- Provide appropriate information to school personnel related to the comprehensive school counseling program.
- Assist teachers, parents/guardians, and other stakeholders in interpreting and understanding student data.
- Participate in professional development activities to improve knowledge and skills.
- Use available technology resources to enhance the school counseling program.
- Adhere to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of the school counseling profession.
- Collaborate with parents/guardians and educators to assist pupils with educational, career, and life planning.
- Conduct a yearly audit to review the counselling needs and trends in the school, and the extent to which the Counselling programme in the school is effective in its implementation, based on the data collected and analyzed.
- Prepare the results of such analysis in a manner that makes it possible to share the information with different stakeholders: pupils, teachers, Network, parents and guardians.
- You are passionate about student welfare and want to help them tackle life’s different challenges
- You have between 3-5 years of experience in institutional counselling
- You have Professional Training in Counselling- Higher National Diploma or Degree
- You have previously counselled teens and young adults
- You are a great communicator: You are able to provide a clear and persuasive pitch to anyone and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You are results driven, goal oriented, move fast, and take ownership of work.
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.