Programme: Office: Regional Office for East Africa, the Horn and the Great Lakes
Duration: 6 months
Hours/Days per week: Minimum of 3 days per week, 5 days preferred.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Languages required – fluent English
Brief description of the team:
We are looking for a volunteer to work with the Communications team for six months, for at least three days a week and preferably five days. The Communications team is part of the East Africa, the Horn and Great Lakes Regional Office and is responsible for Amnesty International’s media outreach and content in the region.
Although the volunteer’s role will be supervised, he/she will be expected to work independently, use their initiative and manage their own tasks. Willingness to undertake some routine administrative tasks is crucial. Projects will be devised by the team in collaboration with the volunteer, which will aim to assist the team in fulfilling its strategic objectives, while making the best use of the volunteer’s own skills, interests and experience.
Undertaking a volunteer opportunity at Amnesty International, one of the world’s leading human rights organizations, can provide valuable experience and you will receive work references at the completion of your assignment. Please note this is an unpaid position, however we will provide an allowance for travel and lunch.
However, please note that a volunteer opportunity does not lead directly to employment with Amnesty International.
- Monitoring of news article hits where Amnesty International has been mentioned and released outputs from the Regional Office.
- Support in drafting content with country teams in line with upcoming and ongoing campaigns.
- Support in preparation of multi-media content.
- Supporting content management on social media platforms.
- Support in content analytics.
- Assist in set up for media interviews.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications Studies or Journalism.
- Experience in a media, communications, or social media organisation
- Very good IT skills and familiarity with the use of databases.
- Good organisational skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all walks of life with good problem solving skills.
- Ability to use graphics design software and video editing suites is an added advantage.
How To Apply
NB: Only applicants who have eligibility, i.e. Kenyan citizens or foreign students with a right to study and work in Kenya, will be considered for the above post.